Welcome to my blog where I bring you in-depth concepts and breakdowns of technical MMA skills with a primary focus on stand up. With my combat experience and eye for detail, I do my best to bring you thorough breakdowns with an emphasis on strategy and technique. I’ve received lots of great feed back from various MMA communities where fighters and fans have enjoyed my content, so I hope you enjoy it too.
If you’re interested in bettering your striking ability or just learning about your favorite fighter’s signature habits, this place is for you.
“Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own.”
– Bruce Lee
My list of breakdowns. (It’s best to view my work on a PC as the gif images will load better).
- .[more on the way]
- Dominick Cruz vs. Cody Garbrandt: How Cody Won The Title (Technique Breakdown) (NEW!)
Dominick Cruz: Shutting Down The Technical Craft (unfinished)
- Doo Ho Choi vs. Cub Swanson: A War of Boundless Heart (Fight Breakdown) (NEW!)
- CONOR MCGREGOR VS. EDDIE ALVAREZ: FIGHT BREAKDOWN OF THE NOTORIOUS LEFT HAND
- MICHAEL BISPING VS. DAN HENDERSON 2: EXPLORING THE TECHNICAL CRAFT (BREAKDOWN)
- Why hitting the sweet-spot is key to knockout…
- Technical Guide to landing the…
- Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 2: Post Fight look at Technical Adjustments (skill breakdown)
- T.J. Dillashaw vs Raphael Assuncao 2: Changes since their first fight (Skill breakdown)
- JOSE ALDO VS FRANKIE EDGAR 2: POST FIGHT LOOK AT TECHNIQUE AND STYLE (BREAKDOWN)
- Stephen Thompson Vs Rory MacDonald: Post Fight Technique and Strategy (breakdown)
- Dominick Cruz vs Urijah Faber: Understanding Dominick’s Cruz’s fighting style and Footwork (Finished)
- Thomas Almeida vs Cody Garbrandt: A Look Into Their Fighting Styles
- Junior Dos Santos vs Ben Rothwell: Cigano’s Victory with Measured Boxing (Skill Breakdown)
- Conor Mcgregor: The absence of a Jab
- The keys to landing A head kick (Work in progress)
- The Keys to Fighting Dominick Cruz (compilation of all the tactics successfully used by his opponents)
- Luke Rockhold: Shutting Down his Signature Check Hook (Finished, somewhere on my blog)
- Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz: Post Fight Technical Breakdown
- Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz: How their Styles Clash
- Anderson Silva vs Michael Bisping: The Breakdown of Fighting Style and Creativity
- Why Fighters Should integrate kicks into their striking game
- Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson: Fighting Style Breakdown
- How Dominick Cruz Won Back the UFC Title (techniques)
- TJ Dillashaw vs Dominick Cruz: The Truth About Their Style Differences and Flaws
- How TJ Dillashaw Fights (Breakdown)
- How Dominick Cruz Fights (Breakdown)
- Nate Diaz vs Michael Johnson and the stockon slap
- Overeem vs Dos Santos — The Growth of Overeem
- Jose Aldo vs Conor McGregor, The Keys To Victory
- Conor McGregor’s Fighting Style Breakdown
- Jose Aldo’s Fighting Style Breakdown
- Justin Gaethje fighting style breakdown (possibly upcoming)
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk fighting style breakdown (possibly upcoming)
- a transcript of every strike landed in round 4 of Silva vs Bisping (finished, not published yet)
- MMA fighters and the boxer’s craft (congrats if you find it)
- An honest look at Sage Northcutt’s current stand up (possible future article)
- The physics of punching
My work aims to highlight the fighters’ craft to build appreciation for their skills. These breakdowns are for educational purposes and looks to follow WordPress’ guidelines for fair use. I spend a lot of time studying fights from various perspectives, so it takes me a while to cover matches. If you enjoy the work, it’s very much appreciated if you share with your fellow MMA enthusiast. I enjoy breaking down styles of fighters who are difficult to understand, so if any of you have a request for me to do the same for any other fighters, give me a message (I”ll see what I can do).
Follow me on twitter for updates My Twitter feed
Recent Breakdown Discussions (not always updated)
- Forum Discussion on Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz Post fight
- Forum discussion on Thomas Almeida vs Cody Garbrandt: a look into their fighting styles
- How Alistair Overeem’s Style is Changing
- 1/5/2017 spent a lot of time watching the fight, taking notes for Cruz vs Garbrandt. aiming to do Dillashaw vs. Lineker. I want to stop breakdowns for a bit to do a few strange pieces on physics and freakshow fights, but I can’t help it when good fights show up.
- 10/11/2016 alrighty, just finished writing about Bisping vs Hendo. Proofread it once. I need to go back and do a better job of correcting my trash editing skills. Don’t know why I keep making such silly mistakes. Maybe I’m just too punch drunk.
- 8/8/2016 back from vacation. Drank too much but i’m ready to return to a humble life of work. Lost my journal of everything I’ve written about fighting through the years. So heartbreaking but i’ll have to use my head to replicate all that knowledge. Back at this again and hoping to do some more writing about fighters and fulfill some request from fellow fans who enjoy my work.
- 7/11/2016 finished Aldo vs Edgar 2. spent too many hours on this piece. Five round fights sure take forever to breakdown. Studied the fight, took notes, made examples, wrote a structured outline, put everything into a final piece on wordpress, watched my browser crash and forced to start over again (as usual). Time to rinse and repeat for Dillashaw vs Assuncao. Aldo vs Edgar was a bit easier since I’ve written a little bit already about Aldo’s encounter with Edgar in the past.
Short background: I picked up kickboxing after high school (about a decade ago or so. can’t recall the exact time) and migrated my focus between boxing and Muay Thai to develop a diverse sense of range, rhythm, footwork, etc. Any time I spend training is usually spent at MMA gyms now to focus on broader disciplines. It’s an ongoing process I’ll continue to enrich my martial arts journey.